Most lawyers recognize the numerous benefits of physical fitness but find it hard to squeeze such activities into a busy professional and personal life. This website provides resources that will help lawyers to identify activities in their cities and, hopefully, make it easier for them to jump in and participate.
Lawyers Showing Us How They Stay Well Physically
How do you stay well physically while balancing a demanding career? Maybe you host a yoga class in your law office, or maybe you're a judge that brings your TRX equipment to your chambers for a quick workout. Maybe you do yoga or meditation at your desk. We want to see! Create a short video (1-2 minutes) and send it to us here, and we'll post it as inspiration for others!
- Mike Monahan has been a member of the State Bar of Georgia since 1989. This is his #LawyersLivingWell video clip. It's a sample of a whole body workout. Mike says, "Normally, you'd do 10 reps of each, then 9, 8, 7 and so on. It's challenging!"
Fun Activities Around the State
There are many opportunities for lawyers to participate in physical fitness activities both in Atlanta and around the state, e.g., running, biking, golfing, tennis, yoga, swimming, bowling, etc. Running websites provide information about races of many different distances. Local bar websites are good sources of information about other types of activities in your area.
Atlanta Area Activities
Atlanta Track Club (running)
Big Peach (running)
- Phidippides (running)
West Stride Calendar &
West Stride Runs (running)
Activities Around the State
Run Georgia (running)
Georgia Runner (running)
- Yoga in Georgia
- Georgia Ride Bicycling Event Calendar
- Annual Cycling Events in Georgia
- Georgia Mud Runs & Obstacle Races
- Explore Georgia's Fun County Parks
- Crossfit Events Search
Bodybuilding and Fitness Events in Georgia
Triathlons in Georgia
Local & Voluntary Bar Associations
Don't forget that the local and voluntary bars in your area offer great fitness opportunities, from golf tournaments to races. Be sure to check them out! (A list of local and voluntary bars can be found
Wellness Partners // Discounts!
To make it even easier for you to start (or continue) an exercise program, many organizations are offering discounts to State Bar members (just be sure to mention that you are a Georgia lawyer!)
Health, Exercise, Diet
Physical wellness involves aspects of life that are necessary to keep yourself in top condition. Optimal physical wellness is developed through the combination of beneficial physical activity/exercise and healthy eating habits.
- Exercise Tips from Above the Law
Mind Body Green
- Put Some Motion in Your Motions: 5 Office Exercises for Lawyers
- Are You Overweight And Out Of Shape?
- A Busy Lawyer's Guide to Health and Fitness (Part 1)
- A Busy Lawyer's Guide to Health and Fitness (Part 2)
- How To Get A Gym Membership Really Cheap
- Georgia Wellness and Fitness Festival
- Lawyers and Heart Disease