The State Bar's Wellness Newsletter
The Attorney Wellness Committee is excited to present the first installment of the Lawyers Living Well quarterly newsletter, in which you will find news, resources and articles centered on wellness. You may opt in to receive the newsletter straight to your inbox once a quarter.
Lawyers Living Well Podcast
Lawyers Living Well is a production of the State Bar of Georgia's Attorney Wellness Committee and Lawyer Assistance Program. Lawyers Living Well is a resource for all things wellness, just for lawyers.
This is a 2023 copyrighted podcast of the Lawyers Living Well of the State Bar of Georgia. The Lawyers Living Well podcast seeks to provide a forum for the discussion of subjects pertaining to the mental, emotional, physical and social health of others and their personal experiences. The statements, views and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors/spokespersons and do not necessarily reflect those of State Bar of Georgia, its officers, Board of Governors, Sections, Committees or staff. Additionally, the information provided is not intended to serve as medical advice unless otherwise indicated. If you are seeking specific treatment plans and guidance, be sure to connect with licensed medical professional.
- Lawyer Assistance Program Committee Chair Lynn Garson sat down with Paula Frederick, General Counsel for the State Bar of Georgia, and discussed the movement of the Lawyers Assistance Committee and the office of General Counsel over the years of her tenure away from a punishment-oriented, intervention and reporting model to a “get help first” model in which there is no pipeline from the Lawyers Assistance Committee to Discipline and a bias in favor of treatment and recovery.
Monthly "Touch" Wellness Events
- October 28, 2020: Help Is Out There: Why Don't We Use It?: WATCH
- January 28, 2021: What Happens When You Call? Demystifying the LAP Hotline and #UseYour6: WATCH
- February 25, 2021: Setting the Bar: A Vision Board Party for Lawyers: WATCH
- March 24, 2021: How to Say No to Last-Minute Requests & Feel Good About It: WATCH
- April 29, 2021: We Took the Pledge: Now What? Well-Being in Legal Practice: WATCH
- May 26, 2021: Planting the Seeds of Well-Being: It Starts in Law School: WATCH
- Plus: View selected sources regarding law school and well-being.
- February 15, 2022: Meditation 101: Sharing Experiences and Resources to Inspire Your Meditation Practice: Watch here.
- March 15, 2022: Sound Therapy and Meditation: Watch here.
- January 31, 2023: The Power of Breath: Watch here.
Georgia Bar Journal Wellness Articles
Read articles on a variety of wellness topics, published by members of the Attorney Wellness Committee in the bi-monthly Georgia Bar Journal magazine. For archieved articles, please visit the Georgia Bar Journal page.
February:"Wellness Through the Stages of Practice" by Megan Murren Rittle
April: "Ready to Feel Better Than Blah?" by Tara Simpkins
June: "The Power of Breath: From Stress Relief to Life Integration" by Sam E. Skelton and Plamen Russev
August: "Self-Talk: How Hard Can It Be?" by R. Javoyne Hicks and Lynn Garson
October: "Wellness Through the Stages of Practice" by Megan Murren Rittle
February: "The Care for More Self-Love in the Legal Profession" by Joy White
April: "Living with Type 2 Diabetes" by Eric A. Ballinger
June: "Leading With Authenticity: Prioritizing Success and Wellness in the Workplace" by Laurie L. Myler
August: "Boundaries: The Secret to Being a Lawyer Who Lives Well" by Tara R. Simkins
October: "Byrd's Story" by Megan Murren Rittle
Are you following us yet? Visit the Bar's social media pages via the links on the left, and follow or subscribe to receive the latest news on wellness.
Recommended Wellness Podcasts
- Lawyers' Voices of Recovery
- The Path to Law Student Well-Being
- LegalSpeak (by Law.com) - Wellness episodes by Leigh Jones and Vanessa Blum:
"Metta" (Loving-kindness) Meditations
Dani Berry, Georgia attorney and founder of Wellworks Consulting, LLC, shares three "metta" (loving-kindness) meditations produced in partnership with Vista Yoga (a Lawyers Living Well resource). Listen below (7-10 minutes each).
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: March 2020
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: April 2020
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: May 2020
Wellness Presentation Resources
Planning to inform friends and colleagues about the benefits of the Lawyers Living Well initiative at the State Bar of Georgia? Use the below presentation compiled by the Mental Well-Being Subcommittee.