Lawyers Living Well Podcast
Lawyers Living Well is a production of the State Bar of Georgia's Attorney Wellness Committee and Lawyer Assistance Program. Lawyers Living Well is a resource for all things wellness, just for lawyers.
Monthly "Touch" Wellness Events
October 28, 2020
Help Is Out There: Why Don't We Use It?: WATCH
January 28, 2021
What Happens When You Call? Demystifying the LAP Hotline and #UseYour6: WATCH
Georgia Bar Journal Wellness Articles
Read articles on a variety of wellness topics, published by members of the Attorney Wellness Committee in the bi-monthly Georgia Bar Journal magazine.
February: "Mostly True: The Sam Skelton Story" by Sam Skelton
April: "Mindfulness Meditation to Combat Stress and Promote Civility in the Law" by Danielle "Dani" Berry
June: "The Benefits of Counseling" by Megan Murren Rittle
August: "Why Work-Life Balance is Impossible to Achieve and What We Can Do Instead" by Plamen Russev
October: "Help Is Out There" by Lynn Garson
December: "The Power of a Year in Review" by Tara Simkins
Top 10 Articles
See below for our most popular articles shared through #LawyersLivingWell social media channels and on the Lawyers Living Well website.
- “Putting Down Your Phone May Help You Live Longer” by Catherine Price | The New York Times
- "A Lawyer Who Survived His Suicide Attempt Recounts His Experience" by Jonathan Ringel | Daily Report
- “Vacation Time! Lawyers Share How They Actually Get Away from the Office” by Kristin Johnson | Legal Productivity by Rocket Matter
- "Dry January: The Health Benefits from Taking a Break from Alcohol" by Allison Aubrey | NPR's Morning Edition
- "Make 2020 the year of civility" by Judy Perry Martinez | ABA Journal
Are you following us yet? Visit the Bar's social media pages via the links on the left, and follow or subscribe to receive the latest news on wellness.
Recommended Wellness Podcasts
- Lawyers' Voices of Recovery
- The Path to Law Student Well-Being
- LegalSpeak (by Law.com) - Wellness episodes by Leigh Jones and Vanessa Blum:
- "One Big Law Attorney's Journey with Depression, One Firm's Response to the Profession's Problem"
- "Inhumane: Big Law Dysfunction Through a Therapist's Lens"
- "'Treat Yourself Like a Client' ... And Other Stress-Free Fitness Tips for Lawyers"
- "Confronting the Mental Health Crisis in the Legal Profession"
"Metta" (Loving-kindness) Meditations
Dani Berry, Georgia attorney and founder of Wellworks Consulting, LLC, shares three "metta" (loving-kindness) meditations produced in partnership with Vista Yoga (a Lawyers Living Well resource). Listen below (7-10 minutes each).
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: March 2020
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: April 2020
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: May 2020
Please use this presentation to inform friends and colleagues about the benefits of the Lawyers Living Well initiative at the State Bar of Georgia. Compiled by the Mental Well-Being Subcommittee.
- Powerpoint Presentation: Attorney Wellness Programs & Resources
- Keynote Presentation: Please contact the Communications department for this version.
Praise for Attorney Wellness Events:
From the Report to the State Bar of Georgia Attorney Wellness Committee from the Law Practice Management Program's 2019 Solo and Small Firm Institute:
On Sept. 26-27, 2019, the Law Practice Management Program presented its Annual CLE Institute for solo and small firm lawyers to an audience of just over 400 attendees. The Institute continues to enjoy the full support and participation of the State Bar’s Attorney Wellness Committee and its key leaders, Paul Knowlton and Javoyne Hicks. View praise for the event below:
The program was described to the Program Chair [Natalie Kelly] by one of the visiting special guest speakers who travels the nation and participates in multiple wellness programs, as “the most impactful wellness programs he has ever witnessed,” and he complimented the Bar for doing “such a good job in dealing with these types of concerns for lawyers.”