NEW: The State Bar's Wellness Newsletter
The Attorney Wellness Committee is excited to present the first installment of the Lawyers Living Well quarterly newsletter, in which you will find news, resources and articles centered on wellness. You may opt in to receive the newsletter straight to your inbox once a quarter.
Lawyers Living Well Podcast
Lawyers Living Well is a production of the State Bar of Georgia's Attorney Wellness Committee and Lawyer Assistance Program. Lawyers Living Well is a resource for all things wellness, just for lawyers.
This is a 2022 copyrighted podcast of the Lawyers Living Well of the State Bar of Georgia. The Lawyers Living Well podcast seeks to provide a forum for the discussion of subjects pertaining to the mental, emotional, physical and social health of others and their personal experiences. The statements, views and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors/spokespersons and do not necessarily reflect those of State Bar of Georgia, its officers, Board of Governors, Sections, Committees or staff. Additionally, the information provided is not intended to serve as medical advice unless otherwise indicated. If you are seeking specific treatment plans and guidance, be sure to connect with licensed medical professional.
- Lawyer Assistance Program Committee Chair Lynn Garson sat down with Chief Justice Nahmias, formerly a prosecutor and US Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia, as he serves as a role model for wellness by stepping down in part to spend more time with his fiancée and family.
Available now on SoundCloud, iTunes, Spotify and Stitcher.
Monthly "Touch" Wellness Events
- October 28, 2020: Help Is Out There: Why Don't We Use It?: WATCH
- January 28, 2021: What Happens When You Call? Demystifying the LAP Hotline and #UseYour6: WATCH
- February 25, 2021: Setting the Bar: A Vision Board Party for Lawyers: WATCH
- March 24, 2021: How to Say No to Last-Minute Requests & Feel Good About It: WATCH
- April 29, 2021: We Took the Pledge: Now What? Well-Being in Legal Practice: WATCH
- May 26, 2021: Planting the Seeds of Well-Being: It Starts in Law School: WATCH
- Plus: View selected sources regarding law school and well-being.
- February 15, 2022: Meditation 101: Sharing Experiences and Resources to Inspire Your Meditation Practice: Watch here.
- March 15, 2022: Sound Therapy and Meditation: Watch here.
- January 31, 2023: The Power of Breath: Watch here.
Georgia Bar Journal Wellness Articles
Read articles on a variety of wellness topics, published by members of the Attorney Wellness Committee in the bi-monthly Georgia Bar Journal magazine. For archieved articles, please visit the Georgia Bar Journal page.
February: "Designing and Living an Integrated Life" by Plamen Russev
April: "Sober Curious" by Megan Murren Rittle
June: "Playing Music, the Brain and the Intellectual Dimension of Lawyer Well-Being" by Eric Ballinger
August: "The Power of Connection and Perspective" by Sam Skelton
October: "Are You OK?" by Candice D. McKinley
December: "A New Resolve on New Year's Resolutions" by Megan Murren Rittle
February:"Wellness Through the Stages of Practice" by Megan Murren Rittle
April: "Ready to Feel Better Than Blah?" by Tara Simpkins
June: "The Power of Breath: From Stress Relief to Life Integration" by Sam E. Skelton and Plamen Russev
August: "Self-Talk: How Hard Can It Be?" by R. Javoyne Hicks and Lynn Garson
October: "Wellness Through the Stages of Practice" by Megan Murren Rittle
Are you following us yet? Visit the Bar's social media pages via the links on the left, and follow or subscribe to receive the latest news on wellness.
Recommended Wellness Podcasts
- Lawyers' Voices of Recovery
- The Path to Law Student Well-Being
- LegalSpeak (by Law.com) - Wellness episodes by Leigh Jones and Vanessa Blum:
- "One Big Law Attorney's Journey with Depression, One Firm's Response to the Profession's Problem"
- "Inhumane: Big Law Dysfunction Through a Therapist's Lens"
- "'Treat Yourself Like a Client' ... And Other Stress-Free Fitness Tips for Lawyers"
- "Confronting the Mental Health Crisis in the Legal Profession"
"Metta" (Loving-kindness) Meditations
Dani Berry, Georgia attorney and founder of Wellworks Consulting, LLC, shares three "metta" (loving-kindness) meditations produced in partnership with Vista Yoga (a Lawyers Living Well resource). Listen below (7-10 minutes each).
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: March 2020
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: April 2020
- Metta Meditation with Dani Berry: May 2020
Wellness Presentation Resources
Planning to inform friends and colleagues about the benefits of the Lawyers Living Well initiative at the State Bar of Georgia? Use the below presentation compiled by the Mental Well-Being Subcommittee.
- Powerpoint Presentation: Attorney Wellness Programs & Resources
- Keynote Presentation: Please contact the Communications department for this version.