U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia Seeks Comments on Reappointment of U.S. Magistrate Judge
The U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, seeks comments on the reappointment of Hon. Justin S. Anand as U.S. Magistrate Judge, as the current term of office expires on June 3, 2020.
The duties of a magistrate judge in the Northern District of Georgia include the following:
- Trial and disposition of virtually all categories of civil actions with consent of the parties in accordance with 28 U.S.C. § 636(c);
- Pursuant to the court’s standing orders In Re: Referral and Assignment of Civil Cases and Matters to Magistrate Judges, presiding over all aspects of civil cases through the entry of a recommendation for final disposition under 28 U.S.C. § 636(b);
- Ruling on various pretrial matters and holding evidentiary proceedings on references from the district court judges made in addition to the standing orders, including discovery issues and other non-dispositive motions;
- Conducting settlement conferences or mediation in civil actions by reference;
- Conducting preliminary proceedings in felony criminal cases, including initial appearances, bond/detention hearings, and arraignments;
- Issuing warrants of arrest, search warrants, and warrants in administrative actions;
- Ruling on all non-dispositive motions in felony criminal cases and entering findings and recommendations as to dispositive criminal motions, such as motions to dismiss or to suppress evidence;
- Conducting preliminary reviews and making recommendations regarding the disposition of prisoner civil rights complaints and habeas corpus petitions;
- Conducting such evidentiary proceedings as may be required in prisoner and habeas corpus actions; and
- Performing other duties as set forth in the Local Rules of the Northern District of Georgia.
The U.S. District Court, as required by law, has established a panel of citizens to consider the reappointment of magistrate judges to new eight-year terms. Comments from members of the Bar and the public are invited as to whether the panel should recommend Magistrate Judge Anand for reappointment by the court to another eight-year term. Please direct comments to:
Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel
c/o James N. Hatten, District Court Executive
U.S. District Court
Northern District of Georgia
2211 U.S. Courthouse
75 Ted Turner Drive SW
Atlanta, GA 30303
Comments must be received by 4:45 p.m. on Jan. 31, 2020.