Rule 16-102. ICLE BOARD.
State Bar Programs / Part XVI - Institute of Continuing Legal Education of the State Bar of Georgia / Rule 16-102. ICLE BOARD.
- ICLE shall be overseen by a Board composed of 13 members, all of whom shall be members of the State Bar of Georgia as follows: the Immediate Past President of the State Bar of Georgia, seven members of the State Bar of Georgia appointed by the State Bar of Georgia President with the approval of the State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors, and one member from each of the American Bar Association (“ABA”) accredited law schools operating in the State appointed by the dean of the respective law school. Each Board member shall serve for three years with the terms staggered so that the terms of approximately one-third of the members expire each year. No State Bar of Georgia member may serve more than two full terms except that such a member appointed to fill a vacancy may fill the unexpired term of the member replaced in addition to two full terms, if reappointed. There shall be no term limits for the ABA accredited law school members.
- All members of the predecessor ICLE Board of Trustees will be eligible for appointment to serve on the ICLE Board described herein. The State Bar of Georgia President shall appoint seven members to the ICLE Board in staggered terms. Each of the deans of the ABA accredited law schools operating in Georgia shall name one Board member to serve a three-year term. Each year thereafter, the incoming Bar President and the deans of the ABA accredited law schools shall appoint or reappoint members as necessary to fill the seats of those members with expiring terms. The Immediate Past President of the State Bar of Georgia shall serve a one-year term.
- The Board shall meet in conjunction with each regularly scheduled meeting of the State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors. The Chair or any seven members of the Board, which must include at least one ABA accredited law school member, may call a special meeting of the Board at a time and place convenient to the Board and upon conditions described in the Internal Operating Procedures of the Board.
- At the first meeting after July 1 of each year, the Board shall elect a Chair, Vice-Chair, and such other officers, as it deems necessary. No Board member may serve as Chair for more than two consecutive terms.
- Seven Board members, including one ABA accredited law school member, shall constitute a quorum of the Board. The act of a majority of the members present at a meeting at which a quorum is present shall be the act of the Board. The Director of ICLE shall attend meetings of the Board and shall serve as Secretary to the Board but shall have no vote.
- No compensation shall be paid to members of the ICLE Board for their service.
- A Board member may be removed from the Board for failure to attend meetings or for other good cause as defined in the Internal Operating Procedures of the Board. The vacancy shall be filled by the original appointing authority.
GO TO Rule 16-101. PREAMBLE AND ESTABLISHMENT OF THE INSTITUTE OF CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION. GO TO Rule 16-103. POWER AND DUTIES OF THE ICLE BOARD. Return to handbook browser.