Section 4. Nominations
Nominations for any office or position may be made by the Nominating Committee (described in Article IX, Section 1(d)) or by any YLD member as follows:
(a) Nominations from Nominating Committee.
(1) Nominations of Officers. In conjunction with and during the State Bar of Georgia Midyear Meeting, the Nominating Committee shall nominate one (1) or more candidates for the office of President-Elect, Treasurer and Secretary, and shall report the names of all such nominees to the Election Committee.
(2) Nominations for Representative Council. Not less than forty-five (45) days prior to the date of the State Bar of Georgia Annual Meeting, the Nominating Committee shall nominate: five (5) or more candidates from each Federal Judicial District for election as members representing such district to fill the terms that will terminate at the next Annual Meeting; twelve (12) or more candidates for election as members at large to the Representative Council; and two (2) or more candidates for election as nonresident members of the Representative Council in the years that the term of such office terminates at the next Annual Meeting. The Nominating Committee shall report the names of all Representative Council nominees to the Election Committee not less than forty-five (45) days prior to the date of the State Bar of Georgia Annual Meeting.
(b) Nominations from Members. Nominations for candidates for the offices of President-Elect, Treasurer and Secretary and for positions on the Representative Council may be made by the membership of the Young Lawyers Division as follows:
(1) Nominations of Officers. Any two (2) YLD members who are qualified to vote in accordance with these bylaws may submit a nominating petition in writing to the Election Committee for the nomination of Officers not less than thirty (30) days prior to the Election Commencement Date. .
(2) Nominations for Representative Council. A nominating petition for the nomination of Representative Council members may be submitted to the Executive Director of the Young Lawyers Division or his or her designee, provided that the nominating petition is submitted prior to the commencement of Representative Council elections.
(3) Nominating Petition. The nominating petition shall be substantially in the following form:
Nominating Petition the Young Lawyers Division
The undersigned member of the Young Lawyers Division of the State Bar of Georgia in good standing hereby nominate ____________________ for the office of ___________________ for the term beginning at the close of the Annual Meeting in ______.
_________________________ Nominator [if applicable]
I, _________________________, the person nominated in this petition, hereby accept said nomination and, if elected, will serve.
(c) No Nominations. Should a position on the Representative Council which is to be filled at an Annual Meeting lack a nomination properly filed in accordance with these bylaws, then nominations for such position may be made from the floor at the State Bar of Georgia Annual Meeting.
GO TO Section 3. Notification of Elections GO TO Section 5. Certification of Nominees Return to handbook browser.