The Board of Governors shall be composed of the following:
- Officer Members. The Officer Members of the Board of Governors shall consist of the President, the President-elect, the Immediate Past President, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the President of the Young Lawyers Division, the President-elect of the Young Lawyers Division, and the Attorney General.
- Circuit Members. The Circuit Members of the Board of Governors shall consist of a number of members from each Judicial Circuit equal to the number of members as existed on January 1, 2001, plus an additional 7 Board of Governors members to be elected from the Atlanta Judicial Circuit. Each Judicial Circuit may gain an additional member for each additional 500 active members of the State Bar added to that circuit after January 1, 2001. Every judicial circuit shall be entitled to elect at least one member of the Board.
- Nonresident Members. There shall be two nonresident members of the Board of Governors who shall be an active members of the State Bar in good standing residing outside of Georgia. The nonresident members shall be from different states. One nonresident member seat shall be an "odd" seat and the other an "even" seat as provided in Section 4 below.
- Appointed Members. The President-elect in office when this Bylaw becomes effective shall appoint three members to the Board of Governors. The first two positions will be considered "odd" seats, and the third will be considered an "even" seat as provided in Section 4 below. Thereafter, the President-elect shall appoint two members in years when the "odd" seats expire and one member in the years "even" seats expire. The appointed members shall be chosen in such a manner as to promote diversity within the Board of Governors.
- The number of the circuit members, plus the nonresident members, plus the appointed members of the Board of Governors shall not exceed 150, except as set out in Section 6(a) below.
GO TO Section 1.
GO TO Section 3. Term of Office.
Return to handbook browser.